Topline: Around 1,500 passengers and 800 crew are caught at sea on the MS Westerdam after Thailand adopted the lead of Japan, The Philippines, and Guam in denying the posh cruise liner, which is owned by a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation, permission to dock.
- Thailand’s well being minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, mentioned in a Facebook submit that he had issued orders towards a luxurious cruise ship docking at a port close to Bangkok, the place it was as a consequence of arrive on February 13. The ship sailed from Hong Kong on February 1.
- It’s not the primary time the vessel was turned away. The ship was initially set to dock in Yokohama, Japan, however was turned away regardless of not one of the passengers or crew displaying signs of the coronavirus, based on a Facebook submit from Holland American Line.
- Cruise ships have turn out to be a shocking flash level within the marketing campaign to manage the unfold of the coronavirus. Some three,700 passengers of the Diamond Princess cruise ship are quarantined in Yokohama with at the least 135 individuals on board confirmed to have the virus.
- At least 1,016 individuals have died from the virus after 108 deaths have been reported on Tuesday, the largest variety of deaths reported in a day. Most have been in China’s Hubei province.
- More than 42,000 individuals at the moment are contaminated, principally in Hubei province the place the sickness is concentrated, after 2,478 new infections have been reported on Tuesday, down from greater than three,000 on Monday. Some 440 individuals are contaminated outdoors mainland China, whereas two individuals have died in Hong Kong and the Philippines.
- Despite the surge in deaths and instances, markets in Asia are rebounding as a lot of China slowly returns to work. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index closed 1.three% up, whereas the mainland’s Shanghai composite was up zero.four%.
- A 13th individual within the U.S. confirmed to have the virus. The affected person had been evacuated from Wuhan, the centre of the outbreak, and positioned underneath quarantine at a Marine Corps air station in San Diego, California.
What to look at for: Scientists, public well being our bodies and well being ministers will meet on the World Health Organization in Geneva right now and tomorrow to attract up a world plan of motion to deal with the sickness. WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, mentioned: “There are questions we need answers to, and tools we need developed as quickly as possible.”
Additional truth: four,000 sufferers in mainland China have been handled for the illness and discharged from hospital, China’s National Health Ministry mentioned.
Tangent: China is reportedly stopping the sale of cough and fever medicines to forestall individuals with potential signs of the coronavirus from self-medicating at residence. It is hoped that by doing this, individuals can be pressured to go to hospital to get therapy. Hangzhou, Ningbo and Sanya will cease the sale of the medicine. But some worry that the measure can be counterproductive, forcing wholesome individuals with minor coughs and fevers to go to hospital the place their danger of an infection with the coronavirus is far increased.
Meanwhile, Chinese well being authorities say they’ve rolled out an app that helps individuals detect in the event that they have been in shut contact with an contaminated affected person.
Key background: Millions of individuals in Hubei province stay on lockdown, significantly in Wuhan, the place the outbreak started in December at a meals market. Air, sea, highway and rail journey inside mainland China has been severely disrupted, whereas some worldwide airways have suspended flights to and from China. Workers have been slowly returning to work after an prolonged Lunar New Year vacation, however provide chains for carmakers and different producers have been stretched to breaking level by the shutdown. China’s president Xi Jinping met with healthcare employees earlier this week after being little seen through the worst disaster to hit China since he took workplace in 2012.
Further studying: Crew Members Plea For Rescue As Coronavirus Outbreak On Cruise Ship Grows To 135 Cases (Rachel Sandler)
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.