(WBNG) — New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo introduced in the present day that the state’s effort to discourage underage consuming resulted in a report variety of fake ID seizures in 2018.
The governor’s workplace says the state seized 892 fake paperwork as a part of the Operation Prevent initiative. The quantity is up from 814 in 2017.
Operation Prevent is a marketing campaign devoted to cracking down on underage consuming and stopping avoidable tragedies concerned with it. The initiative focuses on live performance venues, bars, eating places, and alcohol retailers all through the state.
According to the governor’s workplace, investigators from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles are taking steps to strengthen their enforcement efforts which have led to greater variety of fake ID seizures.
The following of fake ID arrest and the variety of fake IDs seized in 2018 by area. This data comes from the Governor Cuomo’s Office.
- Capital Region: 115 arrest, 138 fake ID seizures
- Central NY: 55 arrests, 55 fake ID seizures
- Finger Lakes: 98 arrests, 92 fake ID seizures
- Long Island: 90 arrests, 108 fake ID seizures
- Mid-Hudson Valley: 148 arrests, 144 fake ID seizures
- North Country: four arrests, 2 fake ID seizures
- Southern Tier: 18 arrests, 18 fake ID seizures
- Western New York: 394 arrests, 335 fake ID seizures
- TOTALS: 922 arrests, 892 fake ID seizures
In addition to this, the governor’s workplace says, the State Liquor Authority issued 1,087 penalties to licensed retailers for underage gross sales in 2018.
“Underage drinking often leads to avoidable tragedies, and we will continue these successful enforcement measures to crack down on illegal behavior and ensure the safety of all New Yorkers,” mentioned Governor Cuomo in a press launch.