By Dr. Muffazal Lakdawala
Over the years, desk jobs have remodeled from filling out paperwork to working tirelessly on laptops or desktops to meet deadlines, obtain targets and far more. Letters have grow to be emails, bodily conferences have grow to be Skype conferences and departmental teams have turned to WhatsApp teams. The evolution of the workspace owes all of it to digitization over the previous couple of a long time.
Excessive Screen Time impacts well being
However, the boon that has helped us work extra effectively additionally has its unfavourable aspect. While we work Eight-9 hour shifts on a day by day foundation, we’re continually watching a screen, be it a laptop computer or a cell. Excessive screen time leads to a host of opposed results on well being primarily based on a number of analysis stories. However, screen time may be troublesome to handle when it’s a built-in characteristic of your job.
While you aren’t solely affecting your eyesight due to the fixed peering at a screen, you might be additionally succumbing to obesity over a interval of time in varied kinds.
Overexposure to screens leads to disruptive sleep patterns. According to a research executed by University of Gothenburg, the sleep-promoting hormone melatonin is suppressed by the blue gentle from screens which prevents us from having a good evening’s sleep. Lack of correct sleep leads to weight achieve or obesity in some instances.
We all expertise stress in our work lives. Chronic stress ends in the manufacturing of the stress hormone, generally referred to as cortisol. It causes a redistribution of fats cells to the stomach space which finally leads to a rise in urge for food and a choice in the direction of meals with excessive caloric worth however little or no dietary worth or junk meals as it’s generally referred to. This is named stress consuming. Stress consuming will finally lead to weight achieve or obesity.
Sitting in entrance of a screen for a extended interval of time can be recognized to have opposed results in your well being. It impacts your posture which ends up in again, neck and joint pains. It can be recognized that sitting in entrance of a screen for a lengthy time will increase the chance of coronary heart illness and Type 2 Diabetes. Heart illnesses and Type 2 Diabetes are additionally linked closely to obesity or weight achieve.
How to cut back screen time every single day
While it may be troublesome to restrict screen time in a hectic work life, there are nonetheless methods to cut back it and show you how to work effectively with none opposed results in your well being.
- Limit your cell screen time to breaks – While we all know our telephones may be a distraction which hampers our effectivity, we’d like to be certain that to examine it solely throughout breaks (lunch time, tea/espresso breaks within the night and so forth.)
- Socialize at lunch – Socialize extra together with your colleagues/workforce members. Get to know them higher as a substitute of spending time scrolling by means of your social media feed.
- Get up and stroll – If your job requires you to work in entrance of a screen for lengthy hours, ensure you take a quick 2 to 5 minute break the place you may stretch, stroll round in workplace and are available again to your seat. You may even strive a quick respiration train to calm your senses.
- Limit screen time outdoors work – We as Indians have a tendency to work and overwork to meet strict deadlines. Manage your time in workplace to work effectively so that you simply don’t have to work at residence. Also, encourage your staff to spend time with household as a substitute of getting them reply to emails late at evening or early within the morning. A very good work surroundings will lead to higher productiveness and happier, more healthy staff.
- Make time for face-to-face conferences: Go again to the previous approach and schedule conferences the place you focus on face-to-face as a substitute of Skype conferences, if attainable.
- Eat healthy – If you might be sitting in entrance of your screen for a lengthy time, ensure you are consuming healthy as a substitute of bingeing. Go for healthy choices like fruits, meals with no sugar and so forth.
There are additionally apps in your cellphone that show you how to restrict your screen time and offer you a detailed evaluation of how a lot time you spend in your cellphone. Use that as an efficient technique of lowering screen time.
Take small steps to cut back your dependency on screens at your office and it is possible for you to to replicate the identical even at residence, main you to a path of a healthy life-style.
The writer is Founder & Chief Surgeon – Digestive Health Institute. Views expressed are the writer’s personal.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.