AUSTIN, Texas —
Health authorities in Texas are warning mother and father not to give infants honey pacifiers after a number of kids within the state developed infant botulism and had to be hospitalized for life-saving medical therapy.
According to the Texas Department of State Health Services, 4 kids from across the state got here down with infant botulism from August to October, they usually all had been reported to have been given honey pacifiers bought in Mexico. Cases of infant botulism in Texas are usually uncommon, with the state reporting fewer than 10 instances yearly lately.
Botulism is brought on by a neurotoxin that assaults the physique’s nerves. Symptoms of infant botulism embody constipation, poor feeding, normal weak spot, drooping eyelids, lack of head management and problem respiratory. Left untreated, extreme instances can lead to dying.
Though the honey pacifiers linked to the instances in Texas had been bought in Mexico, related pacifiers can be found within the United States, however they don’t seem to be frequent, in accordance to DSHS. The Food & Drug Administration mentioned in a tweet that it was working to determine retailers promoting the pacifiers within the United States to ask them to discontinue gross sales.
The Centers for Disease Control warns towards giving honey in any kind to kids lower than a 12 months outdated. Honey can include Clostridium botulinum, a micro organism that may produce botulism neurotoxins.
Parents who’ve any honey pacifiers are urged to throw them away instantly. In addition to honey, pacifiers containing every other meals substance may also pose a botulism threat, and fogeys ought to keep away from them, DSHS added.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.